School Counseling Services Presentation
This assignment meets CACREP Standards 2F 1a and 2F 1h. This assignment meets School Counseling Standards 2a, 2l, 2m, and 2n.
Imagine you have recently graduated with your master’s degree in school counseling from Capella University, and you have been hired as the school counselor at Madison Middle School. Review the Blooming Park: The Benefits of School Counseling multimedia activity to gain an understanding of how the stakeholders currently view the services provided by the counseling department.
The principal is very excited to bring you aboard because of your knowledge of comprehensive school counseling, and she wants to ensure the faculty members have a thorough understanding of the school counselor’s roles and services.
To prepare for the upcoming school year and your new role, the principal has asked you to put together a presentation for an upcoming faculty meeting before the start of the year.
Use PowerPoint to create a slide deck, then record yourself giving this presentation to the faculty about the different roles and services of a school counselor using Kaltura, Zoom, or similar software. Learners using a Mac may find Zoom easier to record and submit this presentation. To learn how to use Zoom, refer to the Using Zoom Campus page linked in the resources.
Be certain to include the following:
· General Overview: Provide your audience with a brief overview of school counseling.
. What is school counseling?
. Who is a school counselor? Describe your education, training, and credentials.
. What are your ethical and legal mandates as a school counselor?
· Roles and Services: What roles and services does the school counselor provide? To whom? In what ways will you engage with stakeholders? Use the following as a starting point:
. Direct services to students (for example, individual counseling, group counseling, school counseling core curriculum, individual student planning; identify and describe the domains in which a school counselor practices).
. Indirect services (for example, consultation and collaboration with teachers/staff, parents, post-secondary school personnel, and community agencies).
. Describe to the faculty what they can expect from you in the context of your role in school leadership and advocacy at multiple levels (that is, advocacy for the individual student; advocacy within the entire school context; and advocacy at the state and federal levels related to legislation and government policy).
· Program Organization:
. What is the ASCA National Model? (Describe in terms that non-school counselors will understand.)
. How will you determine needs for program services?
. How will you measure effectiveness of the program and specific services?
. How will you communicate effectiveness and gather feedback from stakeholders for continuous program improvement?
Your assignment should meet the following requirements :
· Communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, respectful, and consistent with expectations for professional practice in education. Original work and critical thinking are required regarding your assessment and scholarly writing. Your writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· Media presentation: 8–12 slides, with notes or a transcript to ensure accessibility to everyone. Upload the presentation.
· Resources: At least five current, peer-reviewed, scholarly resources other than the course text or assigned journal articles. Include citations at the end of the presentation.
· APA guidelines: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and format. When appropriate, use APA-formatted headings.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 24–28 points for headings and no smaller than 18 points for bullet-point text. For PowerPoint tips, refer to the PowerPoint library guide and Guidelines for Effective PowerPoint Presentations, linked in the Resources area.
· The recording should capture both the slides and presenter.
Review the scoring guide to ensure you understand the grading criteria for this assignment.
Guidelines for Using Kaltura
To learn how to use Kaltura, refer to the Using Kaltura Campus page linked in the resources. Also follow these guidelines:
· Write an outline or script of what you are going to say before you begin recording (You can use the Speaker Notes from the presentation for this). Although you can pause or edit Kaltura videos, editing is limited, so to sound professional, you will want to prepare.
· View your video prior to posting to ensure that the audio is loud enough.
· Write a note in the assignment in addition to posting your video. This can be as simple as, “Please view my Kaltura introduction.”
· Attach your PowerPoint presentation, which include the detailed speaker notes.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in these activities, please contact [email protected] to request accommodations.
You are required to submit your final version of this paper to SafeAssign prior to submitting it for grading. Submit your work as a draft to check for any necessary edits. Once the paper is finalized and all edits have been made, submit the final version to your instructor for grading using the following file naming format: Your_Name_AssignmentNumber_AssignmentTitle (example: Ima_Learner_u07a1_Presentation).
Verify you have reviewed your SafeAssign report by providing the following comment in the assignment area: “I verify that I have reviewed the SafeAssign report for this assignment and this work meets academic honesty expectations.”
School Counseling Services Presentation